Friday 19 April 2013

Good News Girls Fridays: iv Travel the World

The sun is OUT finally!  That need for vitamin D and fresh air often means you'll find me starfishing the closest grassy patch I can find, or sitting cross legged on a bench watching people go by, pretending to read a book (next step is to cut eye holes in The Times for real spying fun).  These luxuries are pretty rare in rain sodden, rat race London, so I savour these moments when I'm travelling.  And so, to bring myself back to GNG Fridays, here is a small selection of lovely ladies who have cast their musical nets far (and close) from there home countries.

Sweden
Robyn - Cobra Style
Robyn featured in my last GNG as I think she is seriously underrated!  Here is a cover of the Teddybears' Cobra Style which is fun.

France
Coeur de Pirate - Comme Des Enfant
This song is absolutely adorable, I just don't have a clue what she's saying however I can now sing this song almost word for word.  I worry about what it means and what words are coming out of my mouth (apart from a few, deux semaine is stuck in my brain from GCSE French.  Two week holiday in Paris anyone?) but the piano accompaniment is extremely pretty.

Belgium
Selah Sue - Raggamuffin
Cee Lo Green ft Selah Sue - Please
I'm a big fan of this chick and I've introduced here to a couple of friends and she goes down a treat!  Selah Sue is rocking, awesome, and sounds Jamaican, what a dream.  I've included my two favourites, Raggamuffin and Please which features Cee Lo Green.  SS has done another version of Raggamuffin with J. Cole, but I tend to prefer the more acoustic and raw versions of songs.  The version I've linked to is the version I have from the original EP, but she has since done other acoustic covers that are worth YouTubing.  Being only 19 when she penned this track means that there are some incredible stuff yet to come from her.
The song she does with Cee Lo brought me to tears when I first hear it, the emotion in this song is overwhelmingly clear, especially as the song builds, its so beautiful.  Selah Sue's style of singing really translates well into this type of music.  I'm not one to easily admit favourite songs (its so hard with so much out there that's constantly changing), but this rarely moves from top lists.

Sweden
First Aid Kit - The Lion's Roar
Who knew that Sweden had such an influencial music scene!  Great duets can be exceptionally stunning and these Swedish sisters are no exception.  Very cool as proven by how much their blogged about and how huge they're getting.  Xfm are big fans!

Malaysia
Yuna - Decorate
I've been side-tracked from my European/Scandinavian tour to South East Asia.  I've had a little 1:40 preview of this song which I adore, and have just found the full version which I've linked to.  Malaysia isn't exactly known for its influences in Western music, so I think this girl is pretty brave (and quite talented to back it up).
The link to the 1:40 version is below, its slightly different from the full length as it hasn't been produced as much - its interesting to see how a song grows and develops and this is a little glimpse of that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBmedWBexHI

Re-reading this post, it looks like today's blog post was brought to you by the letter S.  Alliteration is fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment