Friday 8 March 2013

Good News Girls Friday: ii Doe Paoro

Thank you Earmilk for introducing me to Doe Paoro, you are one of my favourite music blogs.  Paoro is like an ultra cool Imogen Heap with a haunting edge that makes you say "Um... what?" and put every song on repeat.  I think I've listened to the album Slow To Love about a dozen times already this morning.

Clarity of emotion in the lyrics, tone of voice and beautiful instrumentals in each song make you reflect back to how music should be.  She's stripped back the elements of music to its basic origin no matter of its genre, and blends them all together to a new musical dimension.  Paoro's album feels like it holds the root of so many strands genres that sprang out from her, rather than the other way round.

I've a couple of favourites already on this album, and there are also some really notable tracks.  "I'll Go Blind" is quite bluesy, Lauryn Hill inspired in places, it also has elements of hip hop to it: all of Doe's music is quite hard to place as it crosses so many genres.  "Slow To Love" is incredibly delicate and easy to listen to and wouldn't go out of place in Baz Luhrman's soundtrack for Romeo and Juliet.  But I absolutely implore you to listen to the full album, I don't think you'll be hearing anything quite like it for a while, and there's a link to it on Paoro's soundcloud, perfect!  I can only dream of a long drive that I need to take which will let me get totally lost in this album.

I'd highly recommend checking out her interview with Earmilk, she's in interesting character having travelled the globe and studied Tibetan opera.


Also, she is insanely cool and beautiful.  That is all.


No comments:

Post a Comment